The Institute teaches Spoken English at two levels – Basic and Intermediate. The Spoken English course is designed to help the students in learning English language giving more emphasis to speaking skills. New students may choose Basic at level at the time of admission. Emphasis is placed on the development of the Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing skills along with a knowledge of grammar. Enthusiastic participation in classroom activities is an indispensable part of the learning process. The textbook supplied by the Institute is designed for that purpose. 40% of the final evaluation is based on the student’s performance in the classroom activities.
SYLLABUS FOR BASIC LEVEL
The objective of this level is to gradually develop their LSRW skills through the communicative approach of teaching and learning. The textbook, which contains a large number of passages and dialogues, is especially designed to develop the learner’s confidence and speaking ability through interactive lessons on: Introductions, activity based grammar practice of Simple Tenses, descriptions of people, places, things, processes, and day-to-day conversations. On completion of the Basic level students will be able to participate in conversations and understand instructions which will enable them to join the Junior level of the course.
Components of the Course
1. Sentence Formation Practice: Making the students give their Own Sentences/Examples and correcting them.
2. Writing Skills: Making them write their Own Sentences based on the topics of their choice. (Reporting writing, Precis writing)
3. Vocabulary: Making the students give their Own Sentences based on Specific Idioms, Phrasal Verbs and synonyms, Antonyms, Vocabulary used in competitive exams.
4. Sentence Analysis: to make the students see how the words are arranged.
5. Speaking skills: Conversations. Group Discussions, Interview Skills
portraying the culture and spirituality of Meghalaya in a universal context through art, poetry, literature and humour.